Shepherds Hut History
There is a reference to a shepherds hut from the 16th Century during Queen Elizabeth 1st reign when a shepherd was a very important member of the farming community, but farming practices during the first world war and the advent of the tractor reduced the shepherds role in the fields and by the second world war cheaper lamb imports and refrigeration was another nail in the coffin.
Some huts were used as home guard outposts from 1939 and to house prisoners as farm workers in the Second World War. By 1950 most were not used by shepherds anymore and became a store for grain in the fields.
Tasker Shepherds Hut History
Robert Tasker built a new foundry called the Waterloo Ironworks in 1815 on the banks of the Andover canal where they mainly built farm machinery. His sons took over the business in 1857.
In 1865 they made their first portable steam engines and moved towards mass production by 1891.
They went into liquidation in 1903 but recovered in 1907 to build living wagons and shepherds huts but then went into receivership in 1926.
In 1932 ‘Taskers of Andover’ was born and started making trailers until 1937.
They made trailers again for the military up to 1968 but the Waterloo Ironworks was closed in 1983.
Farris Shepherds Hut History
Started by Francis Farris a blacksmith in Tollard Royal who registered the business in 1842. His son John continued the business and set up the Belle Vue Iron Works in 1895 and was still trading in 1935.
His two sons set up a foundry at Combe Hill run by Charles Farris the last hut coming out in the 1950’s